Though finished with West Palm Beach, you may still traverse some of it later, depending on how you leave Palm Beach after being done there.
There are three bridges that will get you to Palm Beach. Of course we’ll pick the northmost, the Flagler Memorial Bridge. This is also where US 1 and A1A split again. They don’t rejoin for another 45 miles, well into Broward County. I recommend going to the next city on the itinerary, Lake Worth, via A1A. It’s way prettier than US 1, which is a very utilitarian road until you get to the Keys.
Here’s another area that would make an ideal historic district. There are buckets of old well-kept buildings all over the place. There do tend to be restrictions on construction in historic districts, though, so maybe the residents don’t feel like dealing with that.
There’s a real assortment here. NRHPs, AGFHA and Florida 100 listings, even two NHLs. Which coincide with the two clusters of historic buildings. You’ve got the north part, where
Flagler’s former mansion is, as well as most of the fancy hotels. Then there’s the southern part, where’ll you’ll find Mar-A-Lago, now one of the Donald’s homes. The old town hall is here as well, so this was likely the governmental end. You can also get back to the mainland here over the US 98 bridge. (see Google map)
- William Gray Warden House (112 Seminole Avenue, 33480) (NRHP)
- Saint Edwards Roman Catholic Church (144 North County Road) (FL 100)
- Paramount Theatre Building (145 North County Road)
- Palm Beach Hotel (235-251 Sunrise Avenue) (NRHP)
- US Post Office (95 North County Road) (NRHP)
- Breakers Hotel Complex (South County Road) (NRHP)
- Henry Morrison Flagler House: Whitehall (1 Whitehall Way) (NHL)
- Bethesda By-The-Sea Episcopal Church (141 South County Road) (FL 100)
- Society of the Four Arts (2 Four Arts Plaza)
- First National Bank (255 South County Road) (AGFHA)
- Phipps Plaza (AGFHA)
- Palm Beach Daily News Building (204 Brazilian Avenue) (NRHP)
- Palm Beach Town Hall (360 South County Road) (NRHP)
- Vineta Hotel (363 Cocoanut Row) (NRHP)
- Everglades Club (356 Worth Avenue) (AGFHA)
- Via Mizner (337-339 Worth Avenue) (NRHP)
- Concha Marina (102 Jungle Road) (FL 100)
- Mar-A-Lago (1100 South Ocean Boulevard) (NHL)
There are two more NRHP delisted sites here, both houses demolished years ago. Both properties are fenced and gated, so you’ll not be able to see what’s left, or what’s been built in their place. A Florida 100 house is around here, but it’s a private residence and likely the owners don’t want people gawking at it, so I haven’t attempted to find or give even approximate directions.
- Bingham-Blossom House (1250 South Ocean Boulevard) (NRHP delisted)
- Brelsford House (1 Lake Trail) (NRHP delisted)
- Palm Beach House / Mack Residence (Jungle Road) (FL 100)
Finished with Palm Beach. ‘Til next time, see you on the road!
Route length: miles